Friday, March 22, 2024

March 18-22, 2024


Thank you to all our families who participated in the Student-Led Conferences in Kindergarten. This is an important celebration of student learning. It encourages students to feel pride and ownership of their work. It also provides an opportunity to express their learning verbally with others. We had several other exciting learning opportunities beginning on Monday with a special guest!

** I can begin to talk about the people who help in my community.**
We had a visit from Firefighter Todd on Monday. We learned about the role of firefighters in our community and fire safety in our home and community. We were surprised to learn that one of the fire stations in Calgary has a slide in it! We saw a short video on the engine trucks and ladder trucks. We also learned about how heavy the tools can be and we all received a Information book with pictures to colour and home safety planning sheets inside. Ask your child to show the book to you.

















A significant part of our kindergarten program is learning about ourselves and how we are unique. We read "I like myself" this week and talked about the ways we can be confident in our skin and proud of ourselves, even if we are different from our friends! We completed our monthly self portrait and feel so excited about viewing our progress through this monthly artwork!

We also began a conversation about the Power of Yet  that will continue after the break (when we say "I can't do it" compared to " I can't do it, YET.")  This is an important part of having a positive Growth Mindset!

** I can respond to a story.**
** I can connect literature to our experiences.**
** I can talk about and identify feelings.**
** I can identify and label emotions.**
** I can learn from a story. **




I can't whistle...yet!
I can't go by myself to the park...yet!
I can't hit the high shot in hockey...yet!
I can't ride my bike without training wheels...yet!
I can't read a book...yet!
I can't do a back flip...yet!
I can't tie my shoes...yet!







Students reflected on work that was "OK" in their visual journal and some work that made them very proud of their efforts! They marked pages to show you at the Student-Led conferences.





He Shoots, He Scores! In P.E. the students completed a unit on Floor Hockey. 
**I can demonstrate spatial awareness during movement activities**






We have been working hard, learning more new "Lively Letters" sounds. We have posted videos of the lessons for your child to practice on our Google Classroom. Please log in to your child's Google account, click on the classroom and then 'CLASSWORK' and practice over Spring Break! 

We know 15 sounds already and are working on using the "Tap and Sweep" method to blend sounds together!


**Many students have NEVER logged into Google Classroom, even though log in information was emailed to families in Mid-October. As of today, only 56% of Kindergarten students have ever accessed this very important online resource. Moving into Grade 1 and beyond, teachers typically do not provide families with a detailed blog and updates like this one- the expectation is that families will stay current with information using Google Classroom. Please take the final 3 months of Kindergarten to get in the habit of using Google Classroom and helping your child practice lively letters sounds...both are important foundations for their work in Grade One. 


Important Kindergarten Dates...

March 25-April 1 is Spring Break, 
Classes Resume Tuesday, April 2.
Have a wonderful, restful, and safe Spring break with your family and friends!!

LINK to our school  calendar

Kindergarten Friday Class Calendar

Our Emails

Mrs. Oster: rdoster@cbe.ab.ca 

Mrs. Sutherland: klsutherland@cbe.ab.c

Mrs. Wiskar: mjwiskar@cbe.ab.ca